WSS Research Committee Minutes
2012 ALA Midwinter Conference
Sunday, January 22nd
10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Sheraton Dallas Hotel, San Antonio Ballroom B
Jennifer Gilley, Susan Wood, Beth Strickland (guest from Publications Committee)
Review and Approval of Minutes from 2011 Annual Meeting
The minutes from the 2010 Midwinter meeting were approved. They were emailed to members before the annual conference and are available on the WSS website.
Call for Additions to the Agenda
Beth Strickland added the following item:
Possible collaboration with Publications Committee to promote research
Dolores Fidishun added the following item:
Final draft of the ALA Presentation Gender Study
Revision of Research Agenda
- The Revised Research Agenda for Women and Gender Studies Librarianship is nearly done. Jennifer Gilley will complete the remaining two sections (Users—Information-seeking behavior/Users—Information needs analysis, and Feminism & Librarianship—Gender and Technology) before Annual 2012 in order to present the final draft to the committee and to the Executive Committee.
- It was decided that the current wiki format for the Agenda never did result in any collaborative input, so we will change it back to a static web page for ease of maintenance (it can live on our server and doesn’t need a password). User feedback can be accommodated via an email link to the committee.
- We would like to market the agenda to library students and new librarians on the tenure track: two populations that may be looking for a research project. Once it has been published, we will market it via list-servs and the WGSS newsletter.
- The committee feels that the revision of the agenda is a great opportunity to bring this project to NWSA via a presentation at their conference or a paper in their journal. The original agenda was both presented and published in these venues and this would make a great opportunity for someone.
Update the Bibliography of Scholarship on Women and Gender Studies Librarianship
- The committee brainstormed new search terms that will be necessary to broaden the literature search to include gender studies and came up with: gender, men’s studies, male, masculinity, feminis*, queer, LGBT, sexuality, transgender. At the Executive Committee meeting it was noted that the GLBT section already has bibliographies on these last four topics, so perhaps we should include gender and men’s studies only, then link to theirs.
- No suggestions were offered for dividing up the workload for the updating of the bibliography, so Jennifer Gilley will continue to do the update pending further discussion at Annual.
Call for Proposals for Research Poster Session 2012
- The word “peer” was added to the sentence: “The committee will use a blind review process.”
- March 30th will be the deadline for submissions; the chair will notify applicants by April 30th.
Call for member reappointments and new chair
- Pamela Salela would like to be reappointed. Jennifer Gilley will check with other members and consult with the Vice Chair of the section on members for next year.
ALA Gender Study
- Dolores Fidishun shared the final draft of the ALA Presentation Gender Study via email. This study will be the focus of the Intro to Women’s Issues session at Annual, being hosted this year by WGSS.
Collaboration with Publications
- After hearing about our research agenda project, Beth Strickland of the Publications Committee suggested that the Publications Committee could complement our project by creating a list of journals where someone could publish their research.
to Committee Business homepage