WGSS Research Committee Minutes
ALA Annual 2014 – Las Vegas, NV
Saturday, June 28th
8:30am – 10:00am
Bally’s Las Vegas – Las Vegas Ballroom 3
Present: Jennifer Gilley, Jane Nichols, Beth Strickland
Approval of Minutes from 2014 Midwinter Meeting
The minutes from the 2014 Midwinter meeting were approved and will be made available via a link on the WGSS Research Committee homepage.
2014 WGSS Poster Session Call for Proposals
- The call for research posters was announced on the WGSS listserv, on Jesse-L, and email@example.com. The committee received a total of 10 submissions and voted on accepting 5. One presenter was unable to make conference so only 4 posters were presented during the WGSS general membership meeting.
- The marketing efforts and number of submissions was considered to be successful so we agreed to continue as is in our marketing efforts.
Participation at NWSA
- Jennifer Gilley, as our liaison to NWSA, suggested that we spend some time thinking about ways to encourage greater librarian participation at the annual NWSA meeting.
- Jennifer gave the group a quick overview of where librarians are already participating within NWSA (small interest groups, etc.) and noted that librarian-only panels did not appear to be well attended.
- The group discussed ways to encourage WGSS members to consider submitting proposals to NWSA. It was suggested that panels with both librarians and faculty members might be better attended by NWSA members.
- It was reported that Jane Nichols is participating on an upcoming NWSA panel (with a faculty member) so it would be good to follow up with her on how it goes.
- The group talked about making a goal of getting 2 librarian/faculty panels to submit proposals for the next NWSA annual conference.
- Jennifer volunteered to encourage WGSS members to submit proposals – sometime around mid-February when the NWSA CFPs go out.
Additional Topics Addressed (related to WGSS in general)
- Some members mentioned how much they liked having WGSS meetings held virtually for Midwinter. Members expressed hope that this meeting format for the group would continue.
- Beth and Jane talked about meeting virtually over the next few months as a way to motivate each other’s work on the “Women’s Lives” encyclopedia project. Additional WGSS members who are working on the encyclopedia will also be encouraged to participate in these working meetings.
to Committee Business homepage